This is an exciting time of the year. Your children are experiencing new challenges. Your children will be bringing work to finish at home. How to handle homework battles – is a question that might be on your mind. Homework time can be challenging. Be ready to solve problems before they happen.
As parents we have to do our homework and consider what homework challenge might come our way.
- Is the work too hard?
- Is my child having trouble focusing?
- Lack of interest in subject
- Distracted by video games
- Environment not conducive to study
- Allergies (These might interrupt ability to focus, feel tired, or sick)
- Check vision or hearing needs (get screening done)
- Sleep habits (Is your child getting enough sleep at night?)
- Is a tutor needed?
- Are there emotional issues that need to be addressed?
- Is your child staying hydrated? Drinking lots water is important. Stay away from drinks sweetened with HFC (High Fructose Corn syrup).
- Schedule (daily activities). When a child knows what you expect them to do, homework time will go smoother.
- Relationship (positive or negative). How is your relationship with your child? Consider counseling.
Procedures for desired outcome: What you can do to stay calm
- Tell child your concern
- Listen to child’s response (without interruption)
- Be mindful of questions (avoid the interrogative – why)
- Discuss expectations
- Decide on logical consequences of behavior
On the next blog I will be explaining how learning styles and personalities helps us know how to approach homework.